Friday, September 26, 2008

Relationships and Regrets

Relationships are one of those things that consume so much our time and lives. I've gone through my fair share of ups and downs and good and bad ones. It seems like when I finally got one right or thought I knew something it would all disintegrated and I would be left spending time processing what happened. I've learned a lot over last year or few years about me and more of who I am. I am thankful for each experience. I do have to say that of course I would have done some things differently, but I probably wouldn't be who I am today if not for those not so great experiences.

I have tried to live my life in a way that would allow me to say "I've lived with no regrets". Well, to be completely honest I have to say I've tried and not exactly always been successful at that last point. Is it really a regret if I'm not sure I would have changed how things went though? My one regret is letting someone into my life who I never should have. Yet, I also know that the whole relationship with him made me who I am today. Our relationship changed how I look at every relationship and my outlook on life too. I can sit here and say I wish I would have never let myself fall for him and love him the way I did, but what good does that do? Like I said in many ways this relationship defined part of who I am today. I just wish I could change how it ended. And by that I mean that I could have spared both of us the heartache and pain that came. I also wish I could say I don't have regrets about how close we got (too close, too soon). I'm pretty sure I've spent more time than him trying to put some closure on things and tie them up and put it away so that I can just be done. For some reason I've never quite been able to do this and to this day I don't know why. Right now, all I know is it's time to burry the past and move forward for good.

No comments: